25 February 2010

After Dark


A series of late nights alone in my room and finishing Haruki Murakami's After Dark, in which many of the scenes are soundtracked by various records, have got me thinking what tracks would provide the best company in the gloom of my room when I should really be asleep. As in many Murakami novels, a central theme is loneliness, and to reflect this the ten songs I chose all possess a sense of melancholia and a quietness that is what being alone after nightfall feels like.

1. Sufjan Stevens- For the Windows in Paradise...
2. Grouper- Heavy Water/I'd Rather be Sleeping
3. Beach House- Gila
4. Slowdive- Alison
5. Squarepusher- Tommib
6. Burial- In McDonalds
7. Marissa Nadler- Dying Breed
8. Portishead- Only You
9. Booka Shade- Lost High
10. Lackthereof- The Columbia

And to herald the dawn of a new day...
11. Yeasayer- Sunrise

I should probably find a hobby/friends/do some work instead of sitting alone in all night in my room...

3 comments:

young-shields said...

i was about to comment you like, what, windows?! lol, its clearly 'for the widows...'

and then i looked it up.

so, for me, a mindblowing post to say the least Xxx

The Kicker Conspiracy said...

ah you're right.
but noone likes a pedant

young-shields said...

oh ma gad well i thought it was widows and then i looked at it on spotify and it was windows and then i doubted myself but its widows!