20 February 2010

King Pantha

As much as I love techno, especially of the minimal variety, I wasn't expecting an album many have dropped into this category to have the potential to be in my top albums of the year (I know, it's only February).
However, German producer Pantha du Prince has seemingly achieved this feet with his new album Black Noise. Minimal techno is perhaps the wrong label for his music, although it does contain many of the hallmarks of the genre, but it also does so much more. This is partly achieved by collaborations with indie stalwarts such as LCD Soundsystem and !!! on The Splendour and, most notably, with Noah Lennox and his vocal chords on Stick To My Side (this perhaps all down to his label-change to Rough Trade). The result is a beautiful, captivating 70 minutes of understated, dark techno, but techno that does not simply stick to the repetitive grooves that dominate the style, but branches into wider realms of sonic potential (how pretentious).

No comments: