28 March 2010

Just can't get enough...

You know that thing where you never notice something until you hear about it or see it once, and then after that you can't help but keep running into it again and again? Well, this is what's happened since I blogged about Cold Wave a month or so ago. I have since had the fortune to discover a lot more about this neglected genre, aided by a spate of new coverage. One of my favourite discoveries was the blog Systems of Romance, which serves, "as a dumping grounds for all great things minimal synth, post-punk, coldwave, synthpunk, industrial, synthpop, and various other combinations of these styles". There are some great records on there, some of my favourites thats I've had a chance to listen to being by Mary Moor, Opera de Nuit and In Trance 95, although there's a lot more on there.  I was also pleasantly surprised by the headline topic on this week's Guardian Music Weekly podcast being none other than Cold Wave, and it was reassuring to hear them mention similar influences, influencees (I realise I just made that word up), etc. as I had previously! There was also an interesting recommendation to this Dummy's guide to the movement, which was enlightening and entertaining, and well worth a read to fill in the many gaps in my initial blog post. One video and song I particularly liked was this one of Jacno. I never quite appreciated just how intimidating technology was back then...

It seems, perhaps unsurprisingly, that there is considerable interest in Cold Wave, and this interest is making its way to the mainstream surface slowly but surely, no doubt ready to be appropriated by a new generation of Cold Wave-soundalikes.


Listen to these:
Mary Moor- Pretty Day
Opera de Nuit- Possession
In Trance 95- Desire to Desire

2 comments:

young-shields said...

As good as this post is, would you look at this.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X5E__RjKTIk/SZSI_dLnTpI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/kD6jl-XQe88/S210/devendra_banhart.jpg

you're making Devendra sad, not posting on him, look....poor baby Devendra. "Don't you think i'm cool, George?"

The Kicker Conspiracy said...

i fear Devendra would look just as sad after blogging about him. i have little positive to say, except that he has an exceptional beard.