2 April 2010

What became of the likely lads?

Well they only went and bloody reformed didn't they (inspired in no small part i'm sure by a £1.2 million pay packet). News that The Libertines are to get back together to perform at the Reading and Leeds Festivals this summer will no doubt have caused a generation of skinny, white indie kids to squeal with excitement and dig out their old "Pete's Innocent!!1!1" t-shirts. I just wish I could be 14 years old again, maybe then I'd be a little more excited, but sadly I outgrew my obsession with the band a few years back when I began to appreciate the sheer scale of their legacy, not something to be proud of tbh (remember these guys? No, i thought not). Their debut album Up the Bracket was pretty special however, and along with their American buddies The Strokes they helped in the transformation of "indie" from an ideology into a genre, again perhaps something they should not be so proud of. Despite this, a small part of me rejoices at the idea of a reunited Pete, Carl, Gary and the other one, back on stage together at last. I remember a few years ago I was at the Get Loaded in the Park Festival in London, where Carl Barat's Dirty Pretty Things were playing, and a secret Pete Doherty set was announced. A huge crowd gathered and sat through a truly atrocious set by Remi Nicole, only to be informed by a brave member of staff that Pete wouldn't be turning up. All my, and the crowd's, hopes of witnessing a reunion were dashed by that announcement, so I'm only to glad to see a reunion that looks like it will actually go ahead.
Have a look at this recent interview, in which Pete hogs the microphone (a little cringily) although he seems pretty lucid and almost witty at times.

No comments: