6 April 2010

A geography lesson from The Fall

The Fall are like a post-punk roundabout, new members constantly coming and going, with Mark E Smith directing traffic from the centre (directing may be doing him a service). Despite their heavy rotation of members, they continue to make great music, and from the name of this blog, it's clear I'm a fan of the band that's "always different;... always the same" as John Peel famously said. One new track that they've been airing live has particularly caught my attention however, titled I'm Not From Bury. The reason for my interest is an old familial connection with the Lancashire town, with far too many horrible Saturday afternoons spent at Gigg Lane watching the Shakers slide to another inevitable defeat. I was therefore a little hurt to hear old Mark E making great pains to tell us he didn't hail from the jewel in the northern crown, but was instead from Salford. The track itself is pretty ramshackle and clocks in at over 6 minutes in its live incarnation, but I'm sure it'll get cleaned up and cut down a little before the release of new album Your Future Our Clutter on April 26th (well, I assume this track will make the cut).

Watch this live performance, and then click on the download below it if you want:


I'm Not From Bury
and this is their latest single, released at the end of last year and also set to appear on the new album:
Y.F.O.C./Slippery Floor

This is a brilliant Fall website, with anything you want to know

No comments: