23 June 2010

Oh My Gaze

I love me a bit of shoegaze from time to time, be it My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive, and i've made it known before that i'm a fan of bands such as School of Seven Bells who offer a modern take on the sound.

However, the new-gaze (or nu-gaze if you're a fucking twat) revival may have gone a little too far, or at least have been taken too far by journalists in their attempts to come up with new labels and to further atomise the genre.

I was having a browse of Pitchfork's Forkcast section today when bands that fell into the following categories were given a mention:

1. synth-gaze
2. haze-gaze
3. sky-gaze
4. shoegazed indie-pop

This is along with at least three bands described as dream-pop and innumerable others as dreamy and/or lazy.

I listened to all the stuff they chatted about and yeah, you can hear the shoegazey sounds, the swirling effects-laden guitars soundtracking mumbled vocals telling tales of middle-class angst, but the new tags seem largely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Anyway, having waded through the crashing waves of guitars and noise, the best song to emerge from my Forkcast trawling was this:
Gyptian- Hold Yuh (Major Lazer Remix)

2 comments:

Zygmunt said...

Excellent post title

htrap said...

I agree with the comment above me, but also think you missed an opportunity with "Major Gazer"

Uh... but yeah. I feel like assigning ridiculously specific genre names to one's music is half the fun for many these days.

It's good that people are trying to be more aware of the elements in music and categorize them, but no to "shoegazed indie-pop". That's just retarded.